Grandparent Visitation Rights in Georgia

Legal SeparationGrandparent visitation rights in Georgia.  How does a grandparent get visitation rights in Georgia?  A plain reading of the Georgia Code, O.C.G.A. 19-7-3(b) offers two avenues by which grandparents may seek court-sanctioned visitation rights to their grandchildren.  A grandparent can

(1) file an original action or they can

(2) intervene in an existing court action.

Grandparents may intervene in any action where custody of the grandchild is an issue;  in the divorce of the parents or a parent; in the termination of rights case of either parent, in the termination of visitation rights of either parent; and in the adoption for the grandchild by a blood relative or by a stepparent.  Grandparents may only file an original action for visitation when the parents are separated and the child is not living with both parents.

If you have questions about grandparents visitation rights in Georgia please contact the Remboldt Law Firm, LLC at 404-348-4081 for a free phone consultation.